Friday, May 9, 2008

Mt Elgon National Park

A week or two ago I traded in the kayak for my walking boots and hoofed it east to the Mount Elgon National Park, to do a 5-day bushwalk up to the summit at 4321m - I think its the highest I've been so far!
Twas a great walk, with my own private army of 4 guides with AK-47s, just in case we stumbled upon some buffalo, leopards, poachers, illegal immigrants from Kenya or aliens from the moon...you can never be too careful ay?!
Any how here's some fotos from the walk.....


'Leopard Cave', last nights camp spot, site of many a leopard spotting, and hordes of bats

On the top with my guides, the Kenyan border in the background

Ugandan 'alpine' country, at about 4000m


Here's one for you Toppa - the villagers chowing down on a nice roasted cow's head for morning tea.......mmmmm

Second day at Sasa Ranger's Hut

Collecting firewood (bamboo) for cooking

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is realy true mountain Elgon is one of the best mountains one should ever visit before he or she disappears from our sight.I (Kabaale Ronald) happened to be one of the people who together with Andrew Maynard, went to the mountain (Mt Elgon in Uganda) and even reached the highest peak.So all what he says is indeed a reflection of the beautiful mountain.Come and see for your self and witness the difference.